Friday, September 02, 2011

Work Talk




 ‘The new girl in office is a slut.’
Says Aaron, my colleague, in
a ‘matter of fact’ tone. ‘But,
how can you utter
such words?’ I say,

‘You barely know her!’
Aaron looks annoyed and bitter
‘Well I know girls like her;
they wear all stuff clingy and short
ready to prey,’ he says with a snort.


‘But this is a place by the beach.
Lighter clothes are what each
one should naturally choose.
Plus, she dresses so, because
she feels easy around here, amongst
us. You should be happy, she trusts
you,’ I jibe. Now
Aaron looks angry. ‘How
dare you argue? I’m telling you
I know girls like her,’ he quips.


‘Ok. So, what are her beliefs?’
‘Which party does she vote
for?’  ‘Which ideology does she support?’
‘Who does she idolize and follow?’
‘Who does she want to be like?’ Silence follows
each question. ‘You don’t know her’
I repeat to a terribly
 sour Aaron. 

Suddenly,
the door opens, in comes Sahar,
the new girl. With a bar
of chocolate  in her hand.
‘Happy birthday!’ she says
with a smile. Aaron stands
completely shocked
for a while.







‘But how did you know?’ even I
did not remember
this day,’ he finally asks. Sahar
smiles again, ’friends should know each other.’


I look at Aaron and see
his eyes are on the floor
Swallowing his words? Maybe!

4 comments:

Ranijade said...

LMAO!!!!!!! We realize how easy it is to judge, everytime we meet someone new! there is no way around it. I think what is important is to look beyond those judgements and allow everyone the opportunity for us to get to know them! oh and to keep our mouths zipped shut in the process.

foreversilk said...

You bet sweety! agree with every word u have written. Let alone skimpy clothes, you can't even dare to be different and wear what you like...u will most likely be branded 'abnormal' or 'weird' yes those are the words they substitute for innovation..n why the hell aren't we supposed to wear what we like and comfortable with and why does it have to be related to our characteristic traits can u really generalise someone's attitude based on her clothes? The first thing people do even before getting to meet the person is pass a judgment..disgusting!

Stella Paul said...

@Ranijade: Oh yes, no matter how many wise sayings they hear and how much wisdom they gather, some people always end up judging a book by the cover. But this whole issue of judging a girl by her clothes is so damn rampant in work places around here, its sickening!

forversilk.Anusha, right? I am so happy you are as disgusted as I am :). I strongly feel that at times men get some kinky sadistic pleasure by ding some character assassination. Btw, loved your blog!!! hope we stay in touch!Best!

Ranijade said...

Your right stella. But I think where I am coming from is the understanding that judgement is second nature to us. I dont think there is any way to avoid it, even for those of us that try to be as open to others as we can be. Psychologically speaking, we experience things that shape our thoughts of others, and it is usually hard to rewire the thoughts related to those experiences. For example, maybe Aaron had a bad experience with some girl in the past who happened to dress like that, an experience that tainted his psyche. So it was easy to pass that judgement for him. It may not come from a bad place, but instead a place of fear, because of a bad experience in the past. So I think my point is, we are all going to judge, no matter what, but what is important is to keep those judgements to ourselves, and to be open to getting to know others before we react according to our judgements. I would be a hyppocrite if I said I didnt judge. I am guilty of it. But I try to be conscious of my thoughts, how they might affect others, and try to re-direct them and give others a chance to get to know them. :-)